Documentary Task 3

Documentary Task 3 : Produce The Documentary

Finished Production:

 

 

At the beginning of the shoot we set up the cameras so they were all calibrated the same. WE all set our white balance using the same paper, set our aperture, f.stops and shutter speed to be the same as one another. This was so in the editing stage we could pick footage from any camera or perspective and the conditions such as lighting and the speed of motion would remain the same and wouldn’t look odd to a viewer.

 

Production Techniques

We used a combination of close-ups and medium shots and two-shots. This gave the viewer more of a personal  perspective. We used interviews, starting off with the tutor, to explain to the audience what would be going on throughout the documentary. I edited the artists response to our questions over the footage of the actors being made-up and close-ups of the make-up and equipment. This was to make it more interesting to the viewer as they could visually see the process and experience the artists were explaining during the interviews. We also used an interview with an actor to see the process from another point of view.

 

Production Management

 

We arrived on location with all the equipment and set everything up successfully, except for one draw-back. I assumed my SD card was in my camera but it was not. Luckily, Andrew had a spare SD card but it was only 8gb, as was his SD card. This meant we couldn’t capture an awful lot of footage until the card would become full. However, because we were located in the college it was easy to upload the footage and wipe the cards as we went along. Also, we had 5 cameras between us so we could capture plenty of footage anyway. We struggled to get into positions that wouldn’t obstruct the artists from carrying out their tasks but managed to position ourselves out the way, and moved fluidly through the room without disruption to others. Sam, Craig and Andrew mainly focused on the action and cut-aways whilst Frankie, Gareth and I focused on interviews. I flitted between helping with the interviews and filming. We filmed right through till about 1pm. We kept communications throughout to keep up to date with each other and too ensure we were getting a variety of footage. A couple of camera’s batteries died, but we had back-ups on charge in a different room, so this only caused slight delays.At 1pm during the lunch period, we reviewed the footage to see if we needed more. By this time, most of the actors had been transformed into zombies bar a few, so a lot of the group would progress upstairs to help with the set up of the scene for the film shoot, and to get shots of the artists keeping the actor’s make-up touched up. Craig continued on getting inserts and cut-aways.  Gareth, Frankie and I would get a couple more interviews. We finished filming by around 3pm, on schedule.

 

When we came in the following day I needed to collate the footage and audio for my edit. However when it came to getting Sam’s, he had lost it. He said that he had uploaded  it the previous day but when he came to recover it again it had gone. this set me back as I had one less camera to pick footage from, and Sam had captured a lot of the action on his camera. This was unfortunate but at least i had footage from the other 4 cameras to work with. Another issue I encountered was that Frankie had used the fostrix audio recorder to record the artists during the interviews, but he had not captured the audio off the device the previous day.When he went to retrieve the device the audio had been wiped. A lot of the interview recordings could not be included because of this, and I only had the sound from the camera to work with.

Advertisements